Technology is definitely evolving much faster than we can keep up with. Although our era does not see flying cars ruling the roads, we are definitely on the way. Technology used to be prominent only in the work aspect of our lives and is becoming essential in our homes as well. While smart phones are already a norm, get started on upgrading your home too. Here are 4 devices to get started on your smart home!
Via Custom Electronics
The Amazon Echo has a simple build that can fool you into thinking it is but a simple Bluetooth speaker. However, beyond its minimalistic built is its Siri-like feature. It gives you the latest weather update, helps you check on anything you want answered, gets some music playing when you want, set alarms and even controls other smart home items. This is just the tip of the iceberg, though. Compared to the previous Echo, Amazon’s upgrades are definitely impressive and you’ll definitely see it for yourself if you ever decide to get one!
August Smart Lock
Mechanical keys and locks might soon be a thing of the past as smart locks have now entered the scene. Despite its bulky appearance, the August Smart Lock dominates the industry, beating out other similar gadgets– it simply goes over your existing deadbolt rather than going through the hassle of changing your lock entirely. This item has also certainly gained popularity among AirBnB users as many property owners have used this to let guests into their home even while they are away. How cool is it to know you can control the locks on your door without ever having to touch it, right?
Security is perhaps the top reason why smart home devices are on the rise. One of our main concerns is wanting to see what happens all the time in our home; whether it’s what the kids are doing when we’re away or to alert you of forced entry by uninvited guests. One of the best video monitoring cameras of today is Nest’s Dropcam. Not only can it shoot in 720p to 1080p, but it can also shoot at a wide angle thanks to its magnetic, swiveling base. Other outstanding features include two-way audio, powerful digital zoom and sharp night vision. It also allows you to connect with other smart home gadgets. Connect the Nest Dropcam to preferably other Nest products for maximum performance.
Belkin Wemo Smart Slow Cooker
Despite the introduction of notable smart home devices, it seems that smart kitchen ware is still something we don’t see a lot of. Belkin seems set on changing this as they recently came out with its first smart slow cooker, Belkin’s Crock Pot. Although it may still be years before we get to actually tell a slow cooker to cook something, Belkin was able to give us a crock pot that we can control with our smartphone from anywhere. Some of the features included changing cooking time, adjusting temperature, calculating cooking time, and even sending us reminders. This means more perfect meals waiting for you!
Is your home getting too old or some parts of it are falling off? Well, if that’s the case then your home certainly needs an upgrade to make it look fresh. However, upgrading your home can sometimes cost a fortune, right? If you say yes then that’s the part where you’re wrong because an interior design company in Singapore has come up with some ideas that will surely benefit your home but won’t cost your wallet that much. Read this information below to find out.
Refresh each room with paint – You can get rid of your wall’s washed-out look by bursting a brilliant depth of paint can on them. This is the best thing about a coat of paint because it will help rearrange your reality. It is sometimes overlooked by many homeowners but it sure is one of the best when it comes to bringing in something new-like to your home.
Install a low-cost stair runner – Is your stairs getting too old that you can no longer get a good grip on it and it feels too slippery? Well, you should try installing a DIY stair runner. Instead of getting your stairs carpeted for about $2,500, you can always go for something cheaper like an off-the-shelf woven runners along with a couple of supplies from a home center. This will surely give your stairs a non-slippery upgrade and it will also help conceal its former weary look.
Related: Upgrades That Can Add More Value to Your Condo
Conserve water by installing a dishwasher – If you’re baffled by this idea then it can be easily forgiven because old dishwashers can really cost havoc both on your water and electricity bills. Perhaps it is time to replace it with a new Energy Star-certified dishwasher since it can help reduce the cost by as much as $30 and save 500 gallons of water. If you don’t have a dishwasher yet then make sure to buy one now since washing dishes by your hand consumes 40 more percent more water.
Add shade and privacy by using interior shutters – Sunlight streaming through your windows is a great source of natural lighting but it can sometimes be an annoyance in certain situations. Apart from that, you can be easily spotted by your neighbors or even by someone walking on the street since you let your windows be wide open. The only option that you probably might have thought of is to install shades but you can actually try swinging wood shutters instead since it makes the cover even more beautiful. In fact, interior shutters were originally hailed as “window treatments” and even up to now, they’re still a great addition to historical and architectural detail.
Provide some new finish to your kitchen cabinets – If you feel that your kitchen has got a cave-like vibe then it’s probably because that your dark kitchen cabinets has taken the light away from the room. However, going for a brighter makeover will suffice it instead of replacing it with all-new ones. This alternative is really cost-effective because you will only be using a fresh, brighter coat of paint instead.
When you’re decorating your home’s interior, there’s no doubt that you are bound to mistakes along the way. But with the help of an interior design company in Singapore, some of these common mistakes will be cited so that you can avoid them if need be. Check out what these mistakes are in this information below.
- Small rugs – The most common problem in a well-designed room is adding a rug that is too small. To give you an idea, the ideal rug should ground a furniture group. The legs of the chairs should sit well comfortably on top of the rug. Just keep in mind that acquiring the right size of rugs will make the space in your room seem larger.
- Scale of furniture – In terms of furniture, people usually buy the ones that are too large for their space. This issue is easily neglected especially when the owner has a thing for a particular set of furniture. So before you decide on your purchase, make sure to consider the size of the furniture and the space left for it. Just keep in mind to always have a space that’s enough for an ease of movement.
- Inadequate lighting – There are some spaces that are horribly designed with inadequate lighting right from the moment it was built. Lighting is important and it should be layered within a space. The ideal layering for lighting should be mood, function, and harmony. The mood will help convey the feeling that you want to express within the room. The function should be based on the kind of activities that will happen in the room. And harmony will require that all the lighting elements in the room will work in sync with each other.
Related: Top 5 Tips When It Comes To Decorating Any Sort Of Room
- High wall art – There are some homeowners who often hang their wall art too high. The ideal display of an art should be eye level, although the smaller ones can be hung a bit lower. If you plan on hanging the art above the furniture then the ideal placement will be 8 inches above it. This will make the art piece look like they sit together.
- Picking wall colors quickly – When it comes to picking out the best color for the wall, some people tend to ignore it and just rush to a quick decision without considering the elements that are present in the space. This is a mistake especially when you see what the final product of the space will look like right after everything has been set.
6. Following trends – It is very common that people tend to follow the latest trend that they see on TV shows or read on magazines. But the thing about trends is that they change too often and if one follows that then it can be an expensive proposition. The best advice will be not to follow too much on the trend and just reflect on your personal preferences and whatever matches your lifestyle.
Waste mismanagement is a common problem in many household and even in condos. It can really take away the peaceful aura that you want to establish in your home and maybe even scare potential buyers if ever you plan on putting your condo in the market. That is why homeowners sought help HDB interior design experts to address this.
Another thing that makes cleaning the mess frustrating is if it is in your furniture or in between the crowded spaces to where they stand. This certainly makes the task harder or probably even more impossible to do. However, you need to calm yourself if this happens because it will surely get you nowhere. With that in mind, we have put up some tips on how you will be able to properly take care of any mess that has been bestowed upon your condo furniture.
Image source: stefandstan.co.uk
Be hands-on with a portable vacuum – Your couch, especially the material that was used on it, can easily attract germs and dirt that can pose some hazardous effects on your health. By using a hand-held vacuum, you can easily scoot out the nasty dust and dirt that lives in your couch. This is such an easy task and once you’ve gotten the hang of it, it will only take a minute of your time each day in doing it.
Image source: wikihow.com
Keep everything shiny – For stylish condo furniture such as cabinets and table tops, it’s important that you keep it clean and shiny by wiping off any streaks or even the most minor fingerprints that are on them. You can use a cleaning solution like a glass cleaner or methylated spirits in order to wipe away those visible marks. This may be a simple and easily neglected task but it can surely make a difference when it comes to the overall cleanliness.
Never overlook your bed’s appearance – Make it a habit that you fix your bed’s appearance before and after you use it. This simple task will make you feel energized especially after you’ve awaken from a good night’s sleep. If you practice this habit more often then you will eventually engage yourself into doing more household chores.
Related: 4 Awesome Ideas You Certainly Need For Your Condominium Interior Design
Maintaining your mirror’s clear visibility – Cleaning your mirror to maintain its visibility is such an easy thing to do that you can actually multitask while you’re doing it. You will surely appreciate the way you look even more if your reflection on the mirror is made much clearer.
Protect your tiles in every way – If your room is tiled and you have lots of movable furniture sitting on top of it then avoid dragging them to avoid producing marks on your precious floor. Whenever you feel like moving or rearranging these furniture, make sure to lift it rather than dragging it. If you feel that a certain furniture is too heavy for you to lift then always ask for a helping hand. Remember that having nasty marks or streaks on your floor can be no good and may even affect the value of your condo.
Now that you learned some of the best ways of protecting your furniture, make sure to practice them each day to get yourself acquainted on such tasks. This will be a great investment for yourself and even for the price of your condo. If you want some more HDB interior design tips, stay-tuned to our weekly article updates.
Image source: fikdu.com
By doing home interior design improvements, you are adding more beauty to your home and increasing its value at the same time. However, there are some homeowners who suddenly become environmentally conscious so they would do whatever they can to find means that can make their home much greener. If you want, check out these green Singapore interior design tips that you can do to your home.
- You should try considering installing solar panels. Even though solar heating is a famous way of warming up your home, solar panels have a more modern look and can be a much greener alternative. This device has no moving parts and you just have to let it sit out in the sun especially in the rooftop. Through this installation, it will collect power without the need of any fuel or having you to replace its worn-out parts. So if you plan on buying then you need to consider the ones that are a bargain and are capable of producing a good amount of power even after 20 years has passed.
- If you currently have the standard light bulbs installed in your home then you should start using the compact fluorescent ones. These fluorescent bulbs consumes up to 75% less energy compared to the incandescent kind and can last ten times longer. Not only will you be helping the environment but you are also saving big bucks as well.
- According to research, choosing the right color and the type of material used for your roof can actually affect the temperature in your attic. The light colored tile roofs triumphs over the shingle kind in terms of decreasing the temperature. So if you plan on re-roofing your home then you should go for the white tile since it has properties that can greatly reduce the heat from your attic.
Related: Ways to Make Your Home More Relaxing
- Have a motion detector installed outside of your home to replace your outdoor lighting. If you leave your outdoor lights up all night then it can be a total waste of energy and can even have some effects on wildlife. So by having your light fixtures outside be installed with a motion sensor then it can help light up the area while saving money and energy in the process.
- Avoid wasting water. Do a thorough check on your home’s water system to see if there are any leaks and have it fixed right away. You can use cold water when your launder the clothes and adjust the clean threshold if you can. So make saving water a family affair to ensure that everyone is well-educated and that you won’t be wasting too much of it.
- Consider installing low flow showerheads. It can be a worthy investment for your home especially if you’re just renting the place since you can easily bring it along with you. These showerheads can reduce the water usage and it certainly saves energy costs.
So the next time you plan on living in a home that’s close to nature then make sure to go for eco-friendly alternatives. Through this, you are doing your part in helping to preserve the environment and save costs on the expenses as well.
If you are getting ready to put your condo out in the market or you are just looking for ways to add value to your home investment then considering some upgrades is the best way to go. However, you should know that every upgrade is not created equal because some may offer great returns while there are also those that could cost you more money in the long run. You might even need to seek out an interior design company in Singapore if you want to ensure that the proper upgrades will be taken cared of.
Now, the big question is “What upgrades can really provide big value for your condo?” If you’re looking for an answer then this article that we provided will help you out with that one and ensure that your money will be well spent.
If you have a potential buyer then it can easily turn them off once they see a bathroom that needs some serious do-over. In fact, if you ask a professional, they would usually recommend that you focus your time and money on the maintenance of your bathroom and kitchen above anything else. If you do that then the return of your condo’s value will be rock solid.
This is sometimes overlooked by many owners but floors are actually a major selling point for your condo. It can be a less costly investment but you can be sure that it will have some positive returns. If you are looking for a small floor upgrade then you surely can’t go wrong when you go for a classic hardwood. Hardwood floors are easy to deal with than carpets and it can be good for anyone with allergies as well.
Related: Top 10 Popular Renovation Interior Designers Apply
Just like the bathroom, the kitchen is also one of the places that every buyer would look into if they want to seal the deal on your place. If you want to utilize the upgrade but don’t have enough money to spend then you should focus on replacing the sink and faucet, repaint the cabinets, and even update as much appliances as you can. But if you have the big bucks to spend for it then just remember to always focus on a design that’s simple yet stylish.
If you want to capture your buyer’s interest then another way you can do that is by buying modern appliances that can appeal to the overall look of your condo. Don’t be cheap in replacing your old appliances with updated ones because those things can really spice up the place. It will even ensure that things flow smoothly in your condo since you have modern appliances to help you out with that.
A good storage space in your condo can be desirable in the eyes of your buyer and may even be a bonus for you as well. If possible, expand every place where storage is most common such as closets or even rooms because you may never know how valuable that extra space is for your buyer.
So if ever you plan on upgrading your condo, consider the things mentioned above and hire the right interior designer in Singapore to ensure that everything falls smoothly into place.
Page 5 of 11« First«...34567...10...»Last »