When you’re decorating your home’s interior, there’s no doubt that you are bound to mistakes along the way. But with the help of an interior design company in Singapore, some of these common mistakes will be cited so that you can avoid them if need be. Check out what these mistakes are in this information below.
- Small rugs – The most common problem in a well-designed room is adding a rug that is too small. To give you an idea, the ideal rug should ground a furniture group. The legs of the chairs should sit well comfortably on top of the rug. Just keep in mind that acquiring the right size of rugs will make the space in your room seem larger.
- Scale of furniture – In terms of furniture, people usually buy the ones that are too large for their space. This issue is easily neglected especially when the owner has a thing for a particular set of furniture. So before you decide on your purchase, make sure to consider the size of the furniture and the space left for it. Just keep in mind to always have a space that’s enough for an ease of movement.
- Inadequate lighting – There are some spaces that are horribly designed with inadequate lighting right from the moment it was built. Lighting is important and it should be layered within a space. The ideal layering for lighting should be mood, function, and harmony. The mood will help convey the feeling that you want to express within the room. The function should be based on the kind of activities that will happen in the room. And harmony will require that all the lighting elements in the room will work in sync with each other.
Related: Top 5 Tips When It Comes To Decorating Any Sort Of Room
- High wall art – There are some homeowners who often hang their wall art too high. The ideal display of an art should be eye level, although the smaller ones can be hung a bit lower. If you plan on hanging the art above the furniture then the ideal placement will be 8 inches above it. This will make the art piece look like they sit together.
- Picking wall colors quickly – When it comes to picking out the best color for the wall, some people tend to ignore it and just rush to a quick decision without considering the elements that are present in the space. This is a mistake especially when you see what the final product of the space will look like right after everything has been set.
6. Following trends – It is very common that people tend to follow the latest trend that they see on TV shows or read on magazines. But the thing about trends is that they change too often and if one follows that then it can be an expensive proposition. The best advice will be not to follow too much on the trend and just reflect on your personal preferences and whatever matches your lifestyle.
Waste mismanagement is a common problem in many household and even in condos. It can really take away the peaceful aura that you want to establish in your home and maybe even scare potential buyers if ever you plan on putting your condo in the market. That is why homeowners sought help HDB interior design experts to address this.
Another thing that makes cleaning the mess frustrating is if it is in your furniture or in between the crowded spaces to where they stand. This certainly makes the task harder or probably even more impossible to do. However, you need to calm yourself if this happens because it will surely get you nowhere. With that in mind, we have put up some tips on how you will be able to properly take care of any mess that has been bestowed upon your condo furniture.
Image source: stefandstan.co.uk
Be hands-on with a portable vacuum – Your couch, especially the material that was used on it, can easily attract germs and dirt that can pose some hazardous effects on your health. By using a hand-held vacuum, you can easily scoot out the nasty dust and dirt that lives in your couch. This is such an easy task and once you’ve gotten the hang of it, it will only take a minute of your time each day in doing it.
Image source: wikihow.com
Keep everything shiny – For stylish condo furniture such as cabinets and table tops, it’s important that you keep it clean and shiny by wiping off any streaks or even the most minor fingerprints that are on them. You can use a cleaning solution like a glass cleaner or methylated spirits in order to wipe away those visible marks. This may be a simple and easily neglected task but it can surely make a difference when it comes to the overall cleanliness.
Never overlook your bed’s appearance – Make it a habit that you fix your bed’s appearance before and after you use it. This simple task will make you feel energized especially after you’ve awaken from a good night’s sleep. If you practice this habit more often then you will eventually engage yourself into doing more household chores.
Related: 4 Awesome Ideas You Certainly Need For Your Condominium Interior Design
Maintaining your mirror’s clear visibility – Cleaning your mirror to maintain its visibility is such an easy thing to do that you can actually multitask while you’re doing it. You will surely appreciate the way you look even more if your reflection on the mirror is made much clearer.
Protect your tiles in every way – If your room is tiled and you have lots of movable furniture sitting on top of it then avoid dragging them to avoid producing marks on your precious floor. Whenever you feel like moving or rearranging these furniture, make sure to lift it rather than dragging it. If you feel that a certain furniture is too heavy for you to lift then always ask for a helping hand. Remember that having nasty marks or streaks on your floor can be no good and may even affect the value of your condo.
Now that you learned some of the best ways of protecting your furniture, make sure to practice them each day to get yourself acquainted on such tasks. This will be a great investment for yourself and even for the price of your condo. If you want some more HDB interior design tips, stay-tuned to our weekly article updates.
If you are getting ready to put your condo out in the market or you are just looking for ways to add value to your home investment then considering some upgrades is the best way to go. However, you should know that every upgrade is not created equal because some may offer great returns while there are also those that could cost you more money in the long run. You might even need to seek out an interior design company in Singapore if you want to ensure that the proper upgrades will be taken cared of.
Now, the big question is “What upgrades can really provide big value for your condo?” If you’re looking for an answer then this article that we provided will help you out with that one and ensure that your money will be well spent.
If you have a potential buyer then it can easily turn them off once they see a bathroom that needs some serious do-over. In fact, if you ask a professional, they would usually recommend that you focus your time and money on the maintenance of your bathroom and kitchen above anything else. If you do that then the return of your condo’s value will be rock solid.
This is sometimes overlooked by many owners but floors are actually a major selling point for your condo. It can be a less costly investment but you can be sure that it will have some positive returns. If you are looking for a small floor upgrade then you surely can’t go wrong when you go for a classic hardwood. Hardwood floors are easy to deal with than carpets and it can be good for anyone with allergies as well.
Related: Top 10 Popular Renovation Interior Designers Apply
Just like the bathroom, the kitchen is also one of the places that every buyer would look into if they want to seal the deal on your place. If you want to utilize the upgrade but don’t have enough money to spend then you should focus on replacing the sink and faucet, repaint the cabinets, and even update as much appliances as you can. But if you have the big bucks to spend for it then just remember to always focus on a design that’s simple yet stylish.
If you want to capture your buyer’s interest then another way you can do that is by buying modern appliances that can appeal to the overall look of your condo. Don’t be cheap in replacing your old appliances with updated ones because those things can really spice up the place. It will even ensure that things flow smoothly in your condo since you have modern appliances to help you out with that.
A good storage space in your condo can be desirable in the eyes of your buyer and may even be a bonus for you as well. If possible, expand every place where storage is most common such as closets or even rooms because you may never know how valuable that extra space is for your buyer.
So if ever you plan on upgrading your condo, consider the things mentioned above and hire the right interior designer in Singapore to ensure that everything falls smoothly into place.
If you are decorating your condo then you will be making some tough choices on choosing things that can reflect both your style and personality. However, the most challenging yet will be the bathroom because this room is where the fixtures can’t be easily moved. If you want to ensure that the bathroom is well-decorated and that it can increase your condo’s overall value at the same time then an interior design firm from Singapore will be your ticket. But apart from that, here are some bathroom tips and ideas that you need to check out first.
- Know the rules first – Before making any significant changes to your bathroom, you need to check out the rules first to ensure that whatever it is that you will be doing is totally acceptable. The reason for this is that some condos follow a certain consistency in all of their units in order to maintain its overall look. This will also ensure that you don’t waste any time and money on the enhancement of your condo’s bathroom appearance.
- Upgrade the vanity – Most condo bathrooms have that generic look in them since each unit is supposed to have a uniform appearance. But if you want to add some customization then the best way to do that is replacing the regular vanity with something that’s more unique looking. You can go for vanities that are wooden or even made of stainless steel depending on the kind of look that you want to achieve. Just keep in mind to not go over the top that you make it go separate entirely from the bathroom’s overall design. Even a small change in the vanity can make a huge difference on your bathroom.
- Consider the color of the paint – There are some condo rules that you need to follow but in the case of repainting your bathroom walls, a change like that can still be acceptable. Apart from the walls, a different paint color on your fixtures can also provide a dramatic effect for your bathroom. If your bathroom has a small space then consider painting it with light colors because it can really make the place look so open. As for larger bathrooms, don’t be afraid to take on deeper shades because it can help the room give out a striking statement.
Related: Peranakan Patterns!!
- Replace the bathtub – If you have a small space on your bathroom then having a huge bathtub inside of it won’t be of any help. You can always go for a shower stall rather than a bathtub if ever you find it too cramped in there. There surely are a lot of choices when it comes to how you can clean yourself up and a bathtub isn’t the only answer. Just remember to free up any space as you can for the bathroom to make it another place in your condo that can give you peace and relaxation.
With these tips and a great Singaporean interior designer at your side, you surely can’t go wrong on your bathroom’s new and enhanced look. Just remember that not only will this process benefit you but your potential buyer as well.
For every homeowner, a relaxing house is what they want to go home to after a tiring day at work. If one’s home doesn’t have a relaxing vibe to it then you won’t be relieved from all that stress. With that in mind, it’s time to think of ideas on how to set up the relaxing vibe for every room and have an interior design company in Singapore help you out with that task. Here are some great ideas for you to check out:
Creating a relaxing bedroom:
- Remove any clutter that makes the space beside your bed and dresser. Don’t forget to put away any clothes that are just lying on your floor and hanging on your door.
- If your mattress is starting to or already worn out then make sure to buy a new one.
- Make sure to replace your worn out pillows as well and choose the best qualities to have a good night’s sleep.
- Always remember to make the bed before you leave the house.
- Duvets or down comforters are so inviting to look at.
- Hang some art or photographs that could remind you of happy moments.
- Place lights on dimmers if need be.
- Ensure that your windows are not obstructed and that the entire sunlight can enter through it. Remember to also add in blinds or drapes so that you can have something to block out the sunlight if ever you don’t want to be waken up from a deep sleep.
Creating a relaxing living room:
- Be considerate on your furniture placement. Locate each piece on an area where you feel comfortable looking at it and that it won’t make the room too crowded.
- If you have a couch, don’t forget to add extra pillows to it.
- Add in some plants or fresh flowers in the room.
- Place a lamp nearby so that you can have something to use for your nighttime reading.
- Limit the clutter in this room.
- Put in some books and magazines on a table to provide a sense of calmness into the room.
- Allow sunlight to set in the room and don’t forget to also install some drapes or blinds on the windows.
Related: How crucial is lighting in your home?
Creating a relaxing bathroom:
- Put some flowers by the sink.
- If you have some problems with space on your bathroom then a bath tray can suffice.
- Invest on a shower head that doubles as a massaging mechanism.
- Add some candles on the consoles. If there’s some space by the tub then add it to those areas as well.
Creating a relaxing kitchen:
- If you are a coffee person then organize a coffee bar area. In that area, organize your coffee, sugar, creamer, coffee maker, and mugs.
- Organize your ingredients to be easily accessible and arrange it based on how often you use them.
- Have a snack drawer that can be easily accessed by your little ones. Organize an area on the fridge where they can access their healthy snacks such as fruits, juice, yogurt, and cheese.
- Always have a bowl of fresh fruits ready on the table or countertop.
- Setup a display area for your kitchen-related collectibles. Just make sure they don’t end up looking like clutter.
So how do you like these relaxing ideas for your home? If you find it satisfying and plan on doing it for your home then make sure to have an interior designer from Singapore to help you out. With these ideas in place, you surely can’t wait to go home after a tiring day at work.
Sometimes, it is not our fault that we end up in a condo or a house that has a small space especially if you are in a tight budget. However, this doesn’t mean that your imagination should also limit itself to that small space as well. In fact, it can open an opportunity to creativity and even some great changes. If you ask an interior designer in Singapore, any type of space can be redesigned into any style just as long as you put your mind into it.
- Create zones – Think about the different activities that you usually do in a space and try to establish zones that can cater them. Applying subtle demarcations will make the space have a larger feel.
- Trick your eye – There are certain tricks that interior designers do to make you feel like you’re in a really open space. One way of doing this is by creating an impression of expansiveness such as using see-through furnishings, floor-to-ceiling curtains, and even strategically placed mirrors. It will certainly make your mind feel at ease and won’t give you too much of a feeling of crowdedness.
- Embrace certain changes – You should know that there are furniture in the market that provides a double function. Examples are tables that can be used both as a dining table and desk, sofas that can also double as guest beds, etc. You need to invest on such things because you will surely be satisfied as to how it utilized your small space perfectly.
Related: Go BIG on small spaces
- Make the pieces count – If you are out shopping for furnishings and other decorative items then you need to consider those that can provide maximum functionality even in just a small space. For example, you can substitute one big coffee table for two small round ones since it can offer a better traffic flow and are much easier to move around the room.
- Customize certain areas – As mentioned before, creativity is the key to this whole decorative thing. There are certain ways to create genius designs such as storage nooks, bespoke built-ins, and even furniture that are tailored to the way you want it. Just as long as it uses the available silver of space, you are doing customization the right way.
- Think about the vertical space – When decorating, the vertical space is sometimes missed and misused. It is important that you exploit every space in between the furniture and the ceiling by using hanging or even high-mounted elements. Bookcases and cabinets are very good examples for this situation so make sure to always look upward the next time you’re decorating things in a room.
- Don’t over-clutter – Just keep in mind that it is not necessary to display every item in your household. This is one method to avoid things from being over-cluttered and take up a lot of unutilized space in a room.
So the next time you move into a condo or a house that feels a bit small for you to move around, these tips mentioned are sure to get things in order. You can even ask advice from our interior design company in Singapore if you want more expert tips regarding this scenario.